• Wear a properly fitted, US COAST GUARD approved life vest at all times.
• Wear shoes, not sandals. Old gym shoes or shoes with tops and sides offer the best protection.
• Dress for the day and be prepared to get wet.
• Bring an extra set of dry clothes sealed in a dry bag for emergency use.
• Use sunscreen and a hat on bright warm days. Take along plenty of drinking water.
• Bring an extra paddle and a rope.
• Bring bug repellent–insects can be numerous during the warmer months.
• Carry at least one signaling device: a whistle, flashlight, bright flag or a mirror, or GPS unit. Cell phone service is not reliable on the trail and should not be depended on for emergencies.