Utility companies, businesses, homeowners, public and private entities, and others must obtain permits from the Northern Virginia Regional Park Authority to use park property for construction. Permits are required for both temporary and permanent uses. There are fees to process a permit.
The permitting program protects our regional parks by discouraging unnecessary encroachments, minimizing inconvenience to park patrons, lessening damage to park land and facilities, and providing standards for construction and restoration.
Examples of Uses Requiring Permits
· Utilities- sanitary sewer, water, gas, fiber optic, telephone, wireless communications, electric, and cable television
· Roadway and driveway improvements
· Grading and any other land disturbing activities
· Storm drainage facilities
· Geotechnical testing
· Locating underground utilities
· Trails and sidewalks- including connections
· Landscaping and fencing
· Replacing, upgrading and relocating existing facilities and improvements